Sunday, September 16, 2012

An Age-Reminding Weekend

Another week has passed and I am starting to get into a nice groove of things, at least I would like to think so. Teaching has been rather rewarding, my students seem to like me and respond as such. I certainly don't mind making good use of my array of ties! I feel all professional when I dress up and I think that adds to the teacher persona. I even had a student write on the back of his quiz (see picture below). It is also pretty awesome to see the ALLY Safezone Fliers attached to a few of my professor's office doors. I really like the layout they have going on there.

Aside from teaching, classes, and reading, this weekend I decided to remind myself of my actual age. I attended DayGlow, the World's Largest Paint Party, on Friday night with a colleague and friend in my department. It was SUCH a great time: Electronic music, lasers, acrobats and dancers, 400 gallons of paint spraying at you- oh yes, it was glorious. It definitely served its purpose of helping me realize that I am indeed only 22 and not the 34 I sometimes feel like I am haha.

Not only did I go to a "concert" on Friday night, but I went to my first Red Raider football game on Saturday. That too was a pretty great time. As depicted in the collage below, I sported my Texas Tech shirt on top and my Pirates longsleeve underneath; I couldn't help but cheer on both teams at the same time in my attire. The atmosphere was definitely different from Pirate Nation, as expected, but all in good ways. Both have their perks. I would say that the environment makes the people at Pirate Nation and the people make the environment at Raiderland. We played University of New Mexico and smoked them with a score of 49-14. I find it fascinating that TTU is the ONLY University with a LIVE mascot- we have a masked rider that rides on a black stallion through the field. Also, after every touchdown, they shoot fireworks into the sky. What a GREAT experience, I may miss my Pirates, but I think I will fit in just fine with my Red Raiders :)

I am definitely looking forward to future home games. I desperately needed this weekend of fun, although I am paying the price by having to catch up a little on my readings. It's a good thing I got ahead during the week!! Another week ahead, more assignments to give and more readings to complete. Welcome to Grad school! Please leave comments and such, I love reading them; they are a nice leisure break from the textbooks!



2 comments:

  1. Sweet! I want to go to Dayglow so bad... but it seems like no one wants to go with! It looks like so much fun!

    I'm glad to see you're doing well, Katy! (:

    ReplyDelete