Saturday, August 18, 2012

Canyons, Crafts, and Chances R

It's only been a few days since my last post, but SO much has taken place since then. Prepare yourself, this may be a long one!

Tuesday night we went to the Stars and Stripes Drive-In Theatre, which is only 10 minutes from my apartment (how convenient!) Turns out, we failed to look up the radar before going and there was a thunderstorm. Despite the inconvenience of continuously turning the power on to use the windshield wipers, it was pretty cool to see the lightning in the open fields. We went to see Bourne Legacy which was pretty good. I say this because both of us had not seen ANY of the previous three movies. We stayed about half-way through Ted until Ma started to fall asleep, so we went home.

Wednesday was a very eventful day. We had a nice breakfast and then headed to Canyon, Texas to visit the Palo Duro State Park. It was GORGEOUS! An absolute wonder that you can have such flat land and then ~BOOM!~ a drop-off of canyons. We took a number of photos and had a blast out there.


After the canyons, we went to Amarillo to check out the thrift stores which was a HUGE success. We managed to find exactly what we were looking for, plus a few other items. All for a grand total of $20, this includes three pieces of furniture. We then visited Cadillac Ranch. Now we were only told about the Ranch itself, not what exactly it was or the activities that took place there. Now we know- next time, bring spray paint! It was a very cool sight to see.


Thursday was rather relaxed, which was a nice change of pace. We shopped for some items to make crafts. We also hung out with my friend Aly for a bit. Had a nice pasta dinner and a couple glasses of wine. I purchased my first bottle of Viva Rosso (my favorite wine from the tasting on Tuesday) and am not ashamed to say I nearly finished it. For it to only be $10 a bottle, I have a feeling it will be my go-to drink of choice :)

Friday we reserved for "Craft Day." I was pretty excited to make some crafts, considering I got a portion of my crafti-ness from my mom. After a meeting with the Director of my Department to meet and chat and a refreshing haircut, I headed home to start on our projects. We made a candle using a carton, taper candle, melted wax, and melted crayons. This is something I remembered doing as a kid and always thought it was really neat. We also made sun catchers- an idea she got from Pinterest. These are simply made of pony beads. You melt them in pans and they solidify, then you hang them up and voila! We added chimes to mine so they would make a nice noise in all this Texas wind. 


Friday night we went to the bar, Chances R, for some good country dancing and to get the real "feel" of Texas (so Ma says). It was a lot of fun! After a few drinks we got out on the dance floor and did the electric slide and later danced to a few (non-country) songs, as well as the cha-cha slide. Had I of known how to two-step, I would have done so with Ma. Nonetheless it was a great night of fun, dancing, and best of all: people-watching!


Today is another lounge day, running a few last errands. We did check out Ransom Canyon, about 20 minutes away. Not as impressive as Palo Duro, but still a cool place to go and check out. There was a house that looked like an airplane! How cool!


I am attempting to mentally prepare for the long day ahead tomorrow. We will be leaving at 10am (central time) to drive 5 hours to Dallas to have a late lunch and then have her at the airport by 5pm for her 6pm flight. Once she is dropped off, I will head back to Lubbock, another dreadful 5 hours. Luckily though, Aly has agreed to go along for the ride so hopefully it wont be so awful. 

Next week is a full week of orientation (technically a class with homework and grading). I am excited to learn about how to teach and handle certain situations and such. I think this week will definitely help me feel more comfortable and welcome at TTU. It should give me a better idea of what to expect as a whole from classes I am taking, as well as classes I am teaching. Only great things to come!

Until next week! Please leave comments, words of wisdom, advice, love notes (only accepted from my lady), or anything you would like to share!




1 comment:

  1. You're too cute babe. I'm so happy you and your mom have had such a great visit! I love hearing and reading about your adventures. Next week will be a-whole-nother adventure to begin. As always, I know you'll blow everyone out of the water with your intelligence and motivation. I know you'll be super happy to have a better idea of what your semester will look like (so you can organize accordingly).

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete