Friday, August 31, 2012

Go Red Raiders!

So my first week is complete! And it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think next week will be the real test though.

I am taking four classes (10 credit hours): Higher Education (class for my TA position), Qualitative Research Methods, Communication Theory, and Theories of Rhetoric. So far, I think my biggest worry will be Qual, although I am apprehensive about Rhetoric as well. For both Qual and Theory I have to write a research proposal, I have to read 10 books for Rhetoric, and Higher Ed is a course to help me along my position as a teacher. Needless to say, I have blocked off all of my time in my planner for not only class, teaching, office hours, and meetings, but to read and do work as well! I am super fortunate to have EVERYTHING in one, single building and on the same floor too!

I have successfully set up my office and organized it to fit my needs, I do spend a lot of my time there. I even have a chair next to my desk for students to sit in when/if they visit my office hours. With the advice of my mother, I put an inspirational quote up today (decorated and all); it says, "Believe you can and you're halfway there," from Theodore Roosevelt. I thought this was fitting to my every day :) I also have pictures of my lady, my mom, and my cat to keep me going throughout the day. Unfortunately, it gets incredibly warm in my office (I share it with three others), so I bought a little fan to cool me off- super great purchase!
I am pretty excited about the semester. My students are pretty fun, they keep me on my toes. Today I gave them their first reading quiz to ensure they are reading the chapter, I think that will set the tone for the semester- I mean business when it comes to their education! Haha it's also fun because I get to throw candy at them when they answer questions correctly. 

Zoey hasn't been super happy about me being gone most of the days. Therefore, when I am home, she is clung to me like a koala to bamboo and I am totally okay with that! I do miss her a lot of the days so it's nice to come home and have her cuddle up on me. 

Tech's first football game is tomorrow, which is super exciting. It's not a game that is part of the conference, but TTU still decks it all out!
All of the lamp posts had red and black streamers attached to them, including the entire balcony surrounding my building. I am pretty pumped to be involved in Red Raider Football. That is one thing I regret about Pirate Nation; that I didn't get more involved in the football culture there until the very end. I intend to make the best of it in my two years here. I even put a flag up above my desk at home :)
Until next week! PLEASE leave a comment of some sort, I know it may be a hassle, but it's reassuring to know people are enjoying me ramble haha! 






1 comment:

  1. I think you will be a great teacher! I am glad you get to through candy at your students haha, reminds me of the many parades we would go to where they thru candy. As for poor Zoey, I think she will be ok. Cats tend to be self contained. She will be just fine. I hope she is getting to look outside on your bedroom "mini" window sill.
    Taking classes at the same time as teaching classes is gonna be alot of work. As I know my OCD daughter......you will be just fine. Just take it one step at a time. And don't forget to relax and take time out. I bet the football games are going to rock!!!
    Remember those kids in your class are looking up to you as a teacher and a mentor....you are literally being watched at all times. I think you showing school spirit at the games will make them feel more willing to be involved with their school. As you said, you didn't appreciate the football at ECU in the beginning...you showing your school spirit at Texas Tech (aka...those rocking red suede shoes haha) will help your students.
    I love your office. Simple, but makes a statement. Of course, your mother...suggested...putting up the most famous saying of all!!! Do more than what is expected! but....yours is just as awesome..just sayin.
    I love, love reading your blogs.....and knowing how you are doing.
    The reality is, these blog posts are really for you...for you to look back and see how far you have come. What a gift you are giving us....and in return to yourself....does that make sense??? ha ha

    love ya Katy,

    Ma :)

    ReplyDelete