Saturday, August 25, 2012

Ready for the Classroom

I'm not sure how successfully I can express how happy I am this week is over. Although it has been extremely useful with all of the information, training, and meeting the entire department, it was very tiring going at least 8-5 every day and cramming information in our heads.

I do feel much more prepared to enter my classroom, but it is still a little nerve-racking to think I will be teaching two different sections of Public Speaking. Making lesson plans is an entirely new concept to me and I need to work on getting more efficient with my time when making them. I have managed to reach out to a couple of people back in NC for tips and pointers.

My colleagues are pretty great, I have made some solid friendships thus far. I am excited to be working with/taking classes with/ studying with some of these people. I would say the overall theme for us is nervous, but excited! We have an amazing office space. Some people share with 1, 2, or 3 others. I happen to be in the only 4-person room. The upside though, is that not everyone will be in the office at the same time so it shouldn't be nearly as cramped. I went shopping last night for office supplies, pretty excited to get all of that setup!




We even got our own HOT PINK cameras to film our student's speeches with, pretty nifty -->






Having such a busy week has completely distracted me from my apartment. Today I spent the morning doing a sink full of dishes and tidying up where I've slacked. I also went grocery shopping, it'll be nice to live off of something other than cereal and snacks.

This coming week will be my first full week of classes (teaching and taking). Pretty anxious about it all, I 'm just ready to get in there and do it. I have a couple of meetings already- one of them is with Dr. Castle Bell (she is teaching my Communications Theory class) to discuss my getting on board a research project she is conducting. I will be analyzing the remainder of the data and ultimately will be one of three authors on it and could potentially present it at an upcoming conference. Doing BIG things!

For the remainder of my weekend I intend to read my assignments for my classes (some of them anyways), create my lesson plan for my first class on Wednesday, and go shopping for teaching clothes. Oh and rest- that's important! Zoey is really going to enjoy me being home so much since she hasn't seen me at all this past week. She did help me fill in my new planner last night while I did my laundry and watched Rent :)


Anyhow, stay tuned for my next post which will probably be next weekend, but we may both be surprised! As always, PLEASE leave comments, advice, thoughts, or anything of the sort. I love to see your feedback!

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering when I'd see a new blog post. I'm so so so proud of you babe. You're bound to be even more successful at TTU than you were at ECU.

    I'm glad you're building new friendships. How can anyone not love you? I'm excited to hear all about your first day/week of classes. You'll do amazingly as always, I'm sure.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete